[CentOS] new machine just turns off after some time.

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Apr 14 14:18:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 16:59 -0600, Peter Gross wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi all...
> >
> > I have a new machine for centos 5. amd 6000+, 2 gig and 750GIG drives.
> > Price is quite reasonable... Anyway...
> >
> > centos 5 installs fine, I was running fine then the machine just turned
> > off.<snip>

> 3. Power supply. You didn't mention what video card you have (if any) or
> the brand and wattage of your PSU. Is the ouput of your PSU aqequate for
> the power requirements of your hardware? Inadequate or cheap power
> supplies (even Antec TruPower) are notorious for causing problems like
> you are experiencing. Assuming your PSU is sized properly, the best way
> to diagnose this would be to measure the output of the rails and see if
> they are fluctuating.
>
> I sympathize with you -- gotta be frustrating when your shiny new
> hardware, powerful though it may be, doesn't stay up for 12 hours.
> <snip sig stuff>

Related: I had a home built system that I decided to upgrade to
something more powerful. My symptoms were memory errors, random crashes,
under-clocked AMD2200+. <scratching head>...

After swapping various things, read manual for new MOBO. Minimum PS for
this board is... recommend if you are going to have almost anything
extra ... HAH!

Going from SIS chipset to VIA! My original PS was *more* than adequate
for the old config, but not the new. Put in a nice 575 watt unit,
problems gone.

HTH
--
Bill