[CentOS] Weird time(zone)?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 03:53:46 UTC 2007

On 4/14/07, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com> wrote:

>     I installed CentOS 5 on a server today (wiping clean the drive which
> had 4.4 on it).  During installation I picked the correct timezone,
> location and all.  Yet, upon booting the machine, it seems to think that
> it's 6 hours earlier than it really is.

One to add to the Gotchas and should have been in the README (sorry)

The problem is that upstream and thus CentOS defaults to thinking your
system clock is set to UTC (for some gosh-darn reason after years of
not having this as a default.. upstream decided to go back to it..

# /etc/sysconfig/clock
# The ZONE parameter is only evaluated by system-config-date.
# The timezone of the system is defined by the contents of /etc/localtime.
ZONE="America/Denver"
UTC=true
ARC=false

change UTC=true to UTC=false