[CentOS] Looking for a better way to build

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Apr 15 22:34:56 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> I have been following the wiki on how to build a custom kernel, and it
> works
> great.
>
> Except, I am doing ongoing work with the internals of the kernel, and it is
> really awkward to set up a change and then build it using the standard
> methodology (edit the file to change, diff it against the original to
> make a
> patch file, rebuild the whole thing).
>
> Isn't there a way (and what is it) to play around with the kernel source
> files until they are in the shape I want them to be in, and THEN go through
> the whole build process again.
>
> Thanks.

Probably, you should be on lkml - the Linux kernel mailing list.

_I_ would just do my editing in the source tree (and I'd not normally
use a vendor's source tree) and regularly do "make && make install" etc
then copy to my test system if it's not my build system.

There is no need, or even point, to create rpms for each dumb mistake.

If at all possible, you should be testing first in uml, xen or other
virtual environment.

--

Cheers
John