[CentOS] Cpuspeed

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sun Apr 15 22:41:39 UTC 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> How necessary is it to run this gem on a desktop with a constant power
> supply?  It doesn't seem to be all that useful, except if there's some
> significant power consumption advantage to lowering the cpu speed.  Doesn't
> the CPU run at full speed unless throttled down by temperature, or is that
> what this thing does (for desktops)?
>
> Thanks.

Power comsumption is the whole point... Laptop or desktop doesn't matter. A
watt saved is a watt saved. My system takes about 420W when under heavy
load - idle the cpus clock down - it drops to around half. At least to me,
that's worth running a program that comes for free with your distro :-)

Petre.