[CentOS] Re: moving CentOS to a larger disk

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Apr 16 17:40:26 UTC 2007

Dave spake the following on 4/16/2007 10:03 AM:
> Hello,
>    I've got a CentOS 4.4 box that it's drive is dying. This machine has
> a lot of customizations done to it, custom configs and the like and i'd
> rather not have to do a full reinstall or manually copy over settings
> files. What i'm wondering is is there a way i can set up the new disk,
> make it bootable, then transfer the entire system over to it? I would
> then pull out the failing drive set the new one to be master, and go on
> with things?
>    Recently i've had to do this on a FreeBSD system for pretty much the
> same reason, all data and settings went over fine and i'd like to have
> the same success here.
> Thanks.
> Dave.
I have done it in the past. It is much easier to do so from a rescue disk or
the CentOS live cd, because copying from a system that is still running might
not work the best.
You can set up the partitioning on the new drive, and use your favorite poison
to copy each partition. You can use rsync, cp -a, or tar, whichever you are
comfortable with. If the drives are close in size, you can usually get away
with dd, or G4L if you want something more visual.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and