[CentOS] Hardware-independent server installation

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Apr 16 18:04:45 UTC 2007

I don't have a system similar to my active server, and I'd like to install
CentOS to a new drive on a spare system and then load that disk in my
server once it's configured with the services I need. How
hardware-independent is a server installation? What should I look out for
when doing this?

I've been using Linux on servers for several years and am a
software/hardware integrator by day. It seems like this should be trivial
but I'd like to know if I'm missing any obvious gotchas.

I'm guessing the biggest issue is associating eth names with actual devices
(modules.conf?), since the systems are unlikely to use the same Ethernet
hardware.