[CentOS] Re: Jigdoes of CentOS 4.4 and 5.0 i386/x86_64 CD/DVD available.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 16 23:11:18 UTC 2007

Scott Silva wrote:

> Bitorrent has one advantage over jigdo AFAIR -- Jigdo uses the bandwidth of
> the mirrors to get all downloads, but bittorrent uses the bandwidth of the
> downloaders. This adds up to significant savings to the one hosting the files,
> because storage is an occasional purchase, where bandwidth is a monthly expense.

Ask internet access providers what they prefer; here, they commonly set
up local mirrors for their users. Jigdo will use these, and the user's
choice.

OTOH bitttorrent will get stuff from uncontrolled locations and IAPs pay
time and again again.

I can't imagine bittorrent provides _any_ advantage over jigdo plus
one's IAP's mirror. I am in Perth, Western Australia, where I can choose
between (at least) two local mirrors.

And Jigdo would have been enormously helpful in updating beta to final
(provided packages were not needlessly rebuilt), all the unchanged
packages could be used from the beta images.

I can also use it to construct a DVD image from my CDs.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait