[CentOS] vmware server 1.02 on CentOS 5 x64

Giampaolo Carmagnani giampaolo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 02:36:45 UTC 2007

On 4/16/07, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > It might install, but I am not sure that it will work on x86_64. From
> > what I read earlier on some vmware lists, the vmware-server was going
> > to need an update to its code to work on x86_64 on kernels after
> > 2.6.12... but I might have misread it. Currently Vmware-server-1.0.2
> > is only 'rated' for CentOS-4.4
>
> vmware-server, the freely downloadable setup will install on c5-x86_64
> fine and works to emmulate x86_64 VM's - but it does itself need a few
> i386 rpms installed, which are available in the distro.

I've install Centos 5 in VMware ESX Server 3, all work fine until I do
"yum update", when yun install the new kernel I got kernel panic.
After i try to install the with rpm and fail again.  The really is the
packages was installed but the mkinitrd after the install is the
problem.
The screen go away so soon then I can't read the output.  I need to
search more to realise what's happen.

Giampaolo Carmagnani