[CentOS] How to upgrate to CentOS 5 from CentOS 4.4 by using yum.

Indunil Jayasooriya

indunil75 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 04:22:37 UTC 2007

Hi,

My all boxes are running CentOS 4.4. When They were running CentOS 4.3. it
upgraded to CentOS 4.4 due to yum.

But, This time, My all boxes are still running CentOS 4.4.

I did below commands, But no luck yet.

[root at mailgw yum.repos.d]# yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Excluding Packages from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 - i386 - ATrpms
Finished
218 packages excluded due to repository protections
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

[root at mailgw yum.repos.d]# yum upgrade
Setting up Upgrade Process
Setting up repositories
Excluding Packages from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 - i386 - ATrpms
Finished
218 packages excluded due to repository protections
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

[root at mailgw yum.repos.d]# yum update kernel-smp
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Excluding Packages from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 - i386 - ATrpms
Finished
218 packages excluded due to repository protections
Could not find update match for kernel-smp
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

My all boxes still have below kernel.

[root at mailgw yum.repos.d]# uname -r
2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp

So I want to know how to upgrade to centOS 5 by using yum.

Pls note that I do not need a fresh install.

here are my .repo files.

[root at mailgw ~]# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
# CentOS-Base.repo
#
# This file uses a new mirrorlist system developed by Lance Davis for
CentOS.
# The mirror system uses the connecting IP address of the client and the
# update status of each mirror to pick mirrors that are updated to and
# geographically close to the client.  You should use this for CentOS
updates
# unless you are manually picking other mirrors.
#
# If the mirrorlist= does not work for you, as a fall back you can try the
# remarked out baseurl= line instead.
#
#

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo =os
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
protect=1

#released updates
[update]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
protect=1

#packages used/produced in the build but not released
[addons]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Addons
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=addons
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/addons/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
protect=0

#additional packages that may be useful
[extras]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Extras
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=extras
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/extras/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
protect=0

#additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
[centosplus]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=centosplus
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/centosplus/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
protect=0

#contrib - packages by Centos Users
[contrib]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Contrib
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=contrib
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/contrib/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
protect=0

[root at mailgw ~]# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/extra.repo
[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
baseurl= http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1
gpgkey= http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
protect=0

[atrpms]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - ATrpms
baseurl=http://dl.atrpms.net/el$releasever-$basearch/atrpms/stable
gpgkey= http://ATrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms
gpgcheck=1
exclude=perl-Compress-Zlib