[CentOS] Java installs but won't play

Matt Martz mdmartz at gflug.net
Tue Apr 17 18:21:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, April 17, 2007 12:35 pm, Leonardo Pinheiro wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Benjamin Sher <delphi123 at zebra.net> wrote:
>> Dear friends:
>>
>> I installed Sun's Java manually by downloading their Red Hat RPM. I
>> followed
>> instructions and the install came off fine (Done!), but when I try to
>> play
>> it, it won't work. I imagine that I probably need to create a symbolic
>> link
>> to the plugin. Here is the info:
>>
>> [sher at localhost ~]$ whereis java
>> java: /usr/bin/java /etc/java /usr/lib/java /usr/share/java
>> [sher at localhost ~]$
>>
>> Could you please help me by suggesting the command and link for this?
>>
>> Thank you so much.
>>
>> Benjamin
>
> Benjamin,
>
> I have done that before (just installed the rpm), and it worked without
> hassle.
>
> Well, you may try to configure it with:
>
> alternatives --config java
>
> If this doesn't solve, there's an entry in the CentOS Wiki that helps
> setting up Java.
>

> Leonardo

If you cant get java to work in firefox follow these steps:

Download the Sun Java rpm from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

cd /usr/java

cp /path/to/jre-[version]-linux-i586-rpm.bin .

chmod a+x jre-[version]-linux-i586-rpm.bin

./jre-[version]-linux-i586-rpm.bin

rpm -ivh jre-[version]-linux-i586.rpm

cd /usr/lib/firefox-[version]/plugins

ln -s /usr/java/jre[version]/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

--
Matt Martz
CentOS Mirror Admin
mdmartz at gflug.net