[CentOS] CentOS5, kernel update and 3ware driver

Florin Andrei

florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Apr 17 19:07:33 UTC 2007

I'm using CentOS5 64bit on a system with a 3ware 9650SE card.

I installed the OS using the driver disk files provided by 3ware. It
worked fine with the original CentOS5 kernel.

After doing a "yum update", which also installed an updated kernel, the
system didn't work after a reboot, using the new kernel.
I rebooted the old kernel, moved the 3w-9xxx.ko file from
/lib/modules/2.6.18-8.el5/updates to
/lib/modules/2.6.18-8.1.1.el5/updates then did this:

mkinitrd -v -f /boot/initrd-2.6.18-8.1.1.el5.img 2.6.18-8.1.1.el5

The initrd image for the new kernel was rebuilt without apparent issues.
I booted up the new kernel and now it seems to work fine.

So here's my question:
The system _appears_ to work fine with the updated kernel and the driver
module from 3ware that was made for the original kernel. But this is a
machine that is supposed to be very reliable, so I'm wondering, do I
have to rebuild the driver for the new kernel, or can I just use the
existing driver version without problems?
The emphasis here is on reliability.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/