[CentOS] Centos 4 software raid issue

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:42:07 UTC 2007

William Warren wrote:
> i need to remove a software raid 1 form my system.  I have yet to find a
> way that applies to 2.6x kernels.  I know the information is out there.
>  Would anyone care to give me a pointer?  This array is data storage
> only and does not house any critical system files.

The raid devices are detected at boot time so you don't need to do
anything special to remove them other than make sure the entry in
/etc/fstab that references the md device is gone so the system won't try
to mount it.  A RAID1 is also perfectly happy to run with only one
member so you can leave it as-is, but remove or reformat the 2nd member.
  Note that sofware raid is configured by partition, not whole disks,
though, so check that nothing else is on the disk you remove or reuse.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com