[CentOS] Re: smartd stalls the system on reboot

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 21:02:50 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It would really best to supply the whole host.domain in the file for
> > the entry. Since you also have 2 different networks, sendmail may be
> > having trouble figuring out what the server really is. The 192.168
> > address resolves differently than the 69.234 address. And the 69.234
> > address doesn't reverse to the same name set in /etc/hosts. This
> > confusion can very much cause sendmail to get all turned around and
> > stall. You might want to consider looking at your  logs to see if you
> > have errors reflecting this.

Looks like it - I keep seeing:

Apr 18 09:07:45 mhrichter sendmail[3376]: My unqualified host name
(mhrichter) unknown; sleeping for retry
Apr 18 09:08:45 mhrichter sendmail[3376]: unable to qualify my own domain
name (mhrichter) -- using short name

The original host name was something like adsl-69-234-xx-xx-<something>.<an
att thing>.com.  IIUTC, you're saying I should include that original domain
name on the host name line.

The 192.138 address is a local subdomain for the VMWare server NAT (which
works really nicely) - would I need to modify that one, too or just the
host?

> Are you using the stock drivers or the proprietary nForce chipset drivers?

Whatever CentOS used when it came up from the install, most likely the stock
drivers.  I haven't looked to see if there are any updates since these were
working fine from install to present.  I'll see what's there....

Thanks.

--
Mark Hull-Richter, Linux Kernel Engineer
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)