[CentOS] CentOS 5 sound problems on ICH5

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Apr 18 23:19:33 UTC 2007

Jon Jahren wrote:
> Hi
> I have installed CentOS 5 on my computer which has an Intel ICH5 sound
> chip. The card appears as it should, and I can adjust the volume just
> fine. However, when I try to play a sound file(.ogg for instance),
> rhythmbox plays through the file, but no sound is heard. I've tried as
> root, and I've tried doing cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp, and it's all
> quiet.
> Output from lspci:
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
> (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

I'm pretty sure you also need to know what codec chip is hung on that
ICH5.  the ICH5 AC97 stuff only handles the computer interface side,
there's an external codec chip that has the actual analog audio I/O, and
the drivers need to know what that is.  they can be VIA, they can be
AnalogDevices SoundMax, they can be SiS, they can be bunches of others.