[CentOS] linuxthreads & Printers in Centos5...

Pierre Bourgin pierre.bourgin at arteris.com
Thu Apr 19 06:30:46 UTC 2007

Jake Grimmett wrote:

> 1) Some of our software needs linuxthreads (i.e. InsightII) but it's closed
> source and the writers (Accelrys) are unlikely to respin the code as they
> want us to move to a different program.
>
> Is there any way of installing another set of glibc libs on centos 5, to allow
> an old, broken, but uselful program to run?

Depends which older version you need; the compat-glibc package provides
binary compatibility with the n-1 distro:

$ yum info compat-glibc
[....]
This package contains stub shared libraries and static libraries
from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
To compile and link against these compatibility libraries, use
gcc34 -I /usr/lib/i386-redhat-linux4E/include \
       -B /usr/lib/i386-redhat-linux4E/lib/

Pierre Bourgin