[CentOS] CentOS 5 sound problems on ICH5

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Thu Apr 19 13:43:40 UTC 2007

Jon Jahren wrote:
> chrism at imntv.com wrote:
>> Which motherboard is it?  What does dmesg have to say when the sound
>> hardware gets rousted at boot time?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> It's a MSI Neo2-P 865PE, dmesg says lots of stuff so I attached the
> /var/log/dmesg file, tried grepping for snd, intel_snd8x0, and
> realtek. I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Have you made sure that your sound chipset is supported?  That board
appears to use the *C-Media 9739A.  Here's a snippet I found in a quick
google search that might help:*

**

*
*

      4.5. Sound

        4.5.1. Onboard: SiS 7012 (CMedia 9739A)

The required drivers are:

    *

      ALSA: snd-intel8x0

    *

      OSS: i810_audio

The following switches (e.g. kmix) have to be set correctly, otherwise
there is no sound (this actually took me days to figure out):

    *

      PCM: unmute

    *

      IEC958 Capture Monitor: mute

The volume slides don't have any impact. According to the alsa-project
mailing list this seems to be a hardware restriction. No resolution
available right now, recommendation is to install another sound card
(e.g. SB). I have checked this for OSS and found the same result.

*

*