[CentOS] linuxthreads & Printers in Centos5...

Pierre Bourgin pierre.bourgin at arteris.com
Thu Apr 19 14:26:56 UTC 2007

Jake Grimmett a écrit :
> Pierre, many thanks for your help.
>
> I think I might need a compat-glibc for the "n-2 distro" as linuxthreads
> support was removed from Centos5; from the RHEL-4 release-notes:
>
> "support for LinuxThreads still exists for RHEL 4, ...advance notice that Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux 5 will no longer include support for LinuxThreads. Thus
> applications that require LinuxThreads support must be updated before they
> will be able to work properly on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 system."
>
> In RHEL4 the solution was to one of the following:
> 1) Use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environment variable
> or
> 2) Use an explicit rpath to /lib/i686/ or /lib/ to select LinuxThreads instead
> of NPTL at runtime
>
> I used solution #1 to get InsightII to run under Centos4.
> Is there any (reasonable) chance of providing older (=Centos3) libraries under
> Centos5 for one errant program?

Along with the virtualization solution, you could try to play with the
compat-* packages from ce4 : try to install them directly on ce5.
It may hurt on runtime, because the library loader of ce5 can be
incompatible with its package objects (.so, binaries) ?

In this case, you can try to rebuild compat-*-ce4 package(s) from source
(SRPM) on a CentOS-5 ...

In both cases, you will have to deal closely with gcc $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and so one ...

I don't know how compat* packages are build, esp. with which version of
gcc, but everything should be written (explained ?) in .spec file ?

If a RPM packager expert on compat* packages has some clues, it will be
nice ...

Pierre