[CentOS] centso 5 modifying my ifcfg-eth[x] files

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Fri Apr 20 13:12:25 UTC 2007

I have a machine with 2 network cards.
Installing  centos 5 on it.

I set up both cards with static IP addresses.
activate on boot etc...

One is e1000 Intel the other is onboard forcedeth (nvidia).

After I reboot the forcedeth ifcfg-eth1 file is changed to DHCP.

I use netconfig -d eth1 to set it back up and reboot again and
the changes back to DHCP.

Only thing to add here is the network card does work, however I
get a dmesg output that eth1 has an invalid MAC address.

Is that invalid MAC address changing my setup? I dont think it should.
granted I'm still looking at finding a way to reset he MAC address or
something
but I dont think the ifcfg-eth files should be modified.

This seems like a bug- that is the reason for the post.

Great work with centos 5!

Jerry