[CentOS] using command line to setup auto login

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Fri Apr 20 20:21:30 UTC 2007

I am trying to find a way to set auto login for a machine under X using
the command line.

I presume I want to use gconftool-2 to do that. Under the old X centos 4
I edited /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
This file no longer exists under X 7 for centos 5.

I cant find a way to "show all" under gconftool-2 so that I can see what
the key/value pair should be.
When I do "gconftool-2 -a " it says it needs a directory. If you dont
know what the directory is how
can you give one?? I'm confused.

I can goto System -> Administration -> Login Screen, then select
Security and enable login.
However, I need to do this action from the command line.

THanks for any pointers that I am missing.

Jerry