[CentOS] usermod and useradd errors

dnk

d.k.emaillists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 18:42:35 UTC 2007

I am not sure if anyone else has run into this, but i did today when
setting upo a samba server.

http://lists.gobolinux.org/pipermail/gobolinux-users/2007-February/004413.html

In an nutshell you get an error like: "usermod: invalid numeric
argument", or the user groups are never assigned, etc. So I have been
managing manually. I get the exact same symptoms, etc (but doing
things like appending groups, etc).

Apparently it can be fixed by downgrading Shadow package to 4.0.17,
however with a quick little "rpm -qa | grep shadow", I can see the
version with Centos 5 is shadow-utils-4.0.17-12.el5.

I have not spent much time digging in deeper as of yet, but wanted ot
see if any others have had this issue in Centos 5.

DK