[CentOS] Can't load Centos 5 on laptop

Matt Martz mdmartz at gflug.net
Sun Apr 22 00:08:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, April 21, 2007 4:09 pm, Paul wrote:
> I can load Centos 4.4 fine, but 5 won't even begin to load, it can't even
> read the kernel from the CD.  I got another cheaper laptop, and that one
> loads fine with Centos 5, the same DVD I try in the Pro-star laptop.  What
> would cause that?  I've never seen it before.  I'm trying to load DVD x86
> 32bit DVD.  Thanks.

I ran into this problem extensively with FC6 which RHEL5/CentOS5 is
equivalent to for the most part.

When you get to the "boot" prompt type some random characters and hit
enter.  For example type "kjsdflkjsalkfjsalkdjf" and press enter.  It will
give you an error.  Then type "linux" and press enter or just press enter.
 It should work just fine now.  I don't know what causes it but I read in
on fedoraforums.org some time ago and no one had an answer.

The guy who found the solution actually typed in some nice words and
pressed enter because he was pissed.  Then hit enter again and it worked.

Let me know if this worked becuase I am sure others will run into the same
problem if it is what I think it is.
--
Matt Martz
CentOS Mirror Admin