[CentOS] CentOS 5 & Beryl

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sun Apr 22 13:01:40 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 21:39 -0400, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 4/21/07, Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com> wrote:
>
> > How's about if I put an ATI 9600 256MB card into this machine? How would
> > that be?
>
> Then we'd get to mock you for having a high end card on which compiz
> and beryl will not function :-P
>
> Get yourself an nvidia card if you want good linux support. Even if
> the driver is proprietary, it functions REALLY well.

but since I'm not much of a gamer any more, and that ATI sitting in my
wife's windows machine isn't really being used it only makes sense to
pull it out of her machine and put it into mine.

mocking!  :) thats ok... I'd still have my trusty Linux workstation
where I can get work done and it would look even prettier even if Beryl
won't work. Eye-candy is real nice, but I'm far happier when my OS
simply works and allows me to do the same.

Reminds me of my workstation at work; Boss tells me one Monday morning
that the Vista Business disks came in and that I should think about
support it cause sooner or later our clients are going to start ordering
PC's running it. I had it on my system for a week and just scrapped it
cause I spent more time working on getting things fixed or working than
actually getting real work done. Now I tell our clients to stay as far
away from Vista as possible if at all possible.

When they ask me what can they run if all they can get from mainstream
vendors is Vista, I tell'em the only OS that really makes any sense!
Linux!! and with the wonderful things Novell is doing with Suse linux
these days whether you're running a windows domain or a novell NDS tree
Linux will fully integrate. Although I still much prefer CentOS (RHEL)
over all the other distros, but when ya get right down to it, it's all
still Linux under the hood.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."