[CentOS] JPackage, Java 1.5.0, and CentOS 5?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sun Apr 22 16:51:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> R P Herrold wrote:
>> We document the approach we use on CentOS at:
>>    http://www.trading-shim.org/faq/?java#web

> That was a great link, it helped me make the JDK as the
> default! Thanks a lot

No problem -- I see a later question on the mailing list as
well, asking for similar writups for tomcat, and one assumes
eclipse and friends;  I am very conflicted here as to
releasing the approaches I use, as they are NOT AT ALL well
integrated to the packaging tool, and I can see no _simple_
method for knowing and controlling defined versions of .jar
files in play.

This seems to be a conscious choice by the Java community,
along with bloat and carrying around local versions to get
around API change issues, but I cannot see how to document
such and provide a reasonable approach for security and
license and version audit.

I do not understand how very large deployments, with Change
Control requirements, can solve this issue, other than in a
binary blob deployment manner.  Not very 'source available'
and Free.   ;(

Perhaps with the release of centos-5, the upstream shift of
focus to Java packaging issues, and the wider availability of
Java to the Free, and non-Enterprise sides of Linux, this
space will start to settle down

-- Russ Herrold