[CentOS] Centos 5 FTP install failure

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Apr 23 19:23:39 UTC 2007

I set up to install via ftp with "linux askmethod"

I put all the addresses in manually.  Do my drive partitioning and
everything and then get:

"Unable to read package metadata.  This may be due
to a missing repodata directory.  Please ensure that
your install tree has been correctly generated.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository:
anaconda-base-2007"

Turns out that I forgot to switch the cable to the switch port with the
proper VLAN.  So of course it could not find anything on the network.

It seems to me that with the Centos 4 ftp install, I got a warning about
not being able to reach the ftp server BEFORE the graphical install started.

It was a real time-wasting pain, going all the way through to the abort
point until I finally looked down at the switch and said, "DAH!"