[CentOS] hi

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Wed Apr 25 13:47:32 UTC 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 5:08 PM, Dave wrote:

> Hi I just joined I have a serer who's purpose life is to be a
> fileserver/print server right now it is running windows 98 because
> it is an older computer look at an alternate os such as this will
> this allow windows based machines to talk to it save files retrieve
> files and also how difficult is it to install.

you may want to look at a "turnkey" file server solution, such as
OpenFiler:

http://www.openfiler.com/

this particular project is based on Linux, but is designed
specifically to be an easy-to-use file server, rather than a general-
purpose machine.  you may be able to use the built-in printing system
to add print server capabilities to an OpenFiler box; i haven't tried
to do so, so i can't tell you for sure.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v