[CentOS] Default printer environment variable

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Thu Apr 26 20:27:42 UTC 2007

Hello All,

I'm trying to get the iSeries Access for Linux client (IBM 5250
emulator) working on a CentOS 4.4 system.  The client is mostly working
- it connects to the remote AS/400, the custom keymap I created is
recognized, etc.  The only problem is printing to a local printer.

The docs for the client state that it reads the default printer
environment variable to figure out which printer to print to on the
local side.  What's the default printer environment variable?  $PRINTER?
I'm lost on this one since I've never had to set it before.

I know that I can create a ~/.lpoptions file and put the default printer
in there, but that's not going to work with this IBM 5250 emulator.

Any tips/help appreciated.

Regards,

Ranbir

--