[CentOS] Isa Soundcard under CentOS 5

Olaf Mueller daily-planet at istari.de
Sat Apr 28 10:55:24 UTC 2007

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> Olaf Mueller wrote:
>> Jim Perrin wrote:
>>> Upstream has removed nearly all support for ISA devices in the
>>> kernel. It was added back into the centosplus kernel for centos4,
>>> I'm not sure if it was/will be added to the centosplus kernel for
>>> c5.
>> What a pity. I have installed CentOS on my server and it works very
>> well. So I would like to have it also installed on my notebook with
>> a isa soundcard. Maybe I should give kubuntu a try. But I would
>> prefer the long term support CentOS gives.

> Perhaps you may add the ISA support to the kernel yourself, and
> recompile it? Someone may provide more info on this.
Yes, this could be a way. Initially I have chosen CentOS 5 for my
admittedly very old but also nice notebook toshiba tecra 8000 cause of
the long term support that CentOS has. This notebook has seen all the
fedora core versions from 1 to 6. And after each new upgrade something
get wrong, usually the isa sound card stops the work. My hope was to
install CentOS once and getting all the things run, yum will do the
rest and I get peace for a few years. But if I had to build my own
kernel, I will get no peace.

I am completely happy with CentOS 5 on my server. It would be great to
have such a nice system also on my notebook.

regards
Olaf