[CentOS] LVM & Softraid & expansion

Sun Apr 1 05:04:06 UTC 2007
Cen Tos <centos.admin at gmail.com>

I've been reading the RHEL 5 manual/guide linked from centos, and the idea
of LVM with expandable partitions seems like a great idea (yes duh why else
would it exist if not?). Although the documentation shows a screenshot of
how the final setup would look like with LVM & RAID together, it doesn't
actually gives the step.

1. Am I correct in thinking it should be done in this way
- setup Softraid
- setup LVM on the raid partitions

Secondly, LVM allows expansion of the LVM group when we add a new drive. But
with softraid, how will this happen? Searching around does not turn up any
guide on this. Am I correct in thinking I must always add new drives in
pairs (for Raid 1), create a new softraid partition then assign this new
partition to the LVM group?

Thanks!