[CentOS] Connecting to a Novell Server

Fri Apr 6 16:24:56 UTC 2007
Rob Lines <rlinesseagate at gmail.com>

So it took a while to get a few days free to test this and work up our
internal documentation (thank you vmware)

Paul, your process was excellent.  We were able to change a few things in
our environment because we are not using IPX for communication.

For our users the process has been condensed down to:
------
How do I access the Novell Servers?

Open a terminal window and su - root to get a root shell.

Go to the directory with the yum configuration files with cd
/etc/yum.repos.d and open the CentOS-Base.repo file.

Find the [update] section and add the line exclude=kernel kernel-smp to the
bottom of the entry.

Find the [centosplus] section and change the enabled=0 to enabled=1 and add
the line includepkg=kernel kernel-smp to the end of the entry.

Check what kernel type you are using. Run the command uname -r and look at
the end of the output for the tag smp

If there was no smp in the last output update the kernel with the command
yum update kernel. If the output had smp update the kernel with the command
yum update kernel-smp.

Download the IPX utils and NCPFS rpms.  (We rebuild the two srpms once and
house them on an internal web server)

Install the rpms with the command rpm -i ipxutils-2.2.6-5.i386.rpm and rpm
-i ncpfs-2.2.6-5.i386.rpm

Reboot the machine so that it boots with the new kernel and log back in.

Make a directory in your home directory for the NW01 server with the command
mkdir nw01

To actualy connect to the novell servers use the following command ncpmount
-S NW01 -A x.x.x.x nw01 -U USERNAME.users.tree -P PASSWORD replace the
USERNAME and PASSWORD with your Novell username and password.

It will give no output if it completes sucessfuly. To check it go into the
nw01 folder with cd nw01 and list the files with ls it should display the
shares that you have access to on the main file server.

This command can be added to a script so that you do not have to type it
every time. Make a new file in your home directory called novell.sh with the
command touch novell.sh then open it in an editor. Add the following lines
to the file and make sure to replace the username and password with your
username and password

    #!/bin/bash

    ncpmount -S NW01 -A x.x.x.x nw01 -U USERNAME.users.tree -P PASSWORD

Now make the file exicutable by you and remove the permisions for anyone
else to read the file with the command chmod 700 novell.sh

Now you can just run your script novell.sh to connect to the novell servers.
-----

We did find that due to the use of the IP based servers that gtknw2
application would not properly mount those servers.  The simple script above
does the same thing.

Paul, and everyone else thank you for the help.

Rob