[CentOS] 32-bit vs 64-bit CentOS on 64-bit hardware

Mon Apr 16 20:21:47 UTC 2007
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

I was asked this question today and frankly, I didn't know the answer.
So I thought I'd post it here....

If you don't need to access greater than 4GB RAM, is there any benefit
to running the 64-bit version of CentOS vs the 32-bit one?  That's
assuming, of course, that the target machine utilizes a 64-bit capable
processor.  I hadn't seen any noticeable difference, but I haven't done
any benchmarking either.

On a desktop machine, the 32-bit version seems preferable since there
are closed source creature comfort apps that are not yet available in
64-bit land, correct?

Cheers,