[CentOS] system crash by "find" (solved)

Sun Apr 29 23:11:24 UTC 2007
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On 4/29/07, Daniel de Kok <danieldk at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 14:12 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > Is it possible to crash a system just by running the find command?  I
> > connected to a machine running CentOS 5.0 x86_64 and issued a command:
> >
> > find / -name filename -print
>
> No, that shouldn't crash a system.
>
> -- Daniel

It shouldn't...under normal circumstances.  Now, this is an
embarrassing situation.  I spoke too soon.  After installing CentOS 5,
I left this particular system unpatched *on purpose* so that I can
observe the kernel oops caused by the known cifs bug.  Because the
system crash did not occur for a few days, I had forgotten about it.
Apparently, the find command triggered the crash.  Now that the system
is proven unstable, I will go ahead and install the patched cifs.ko
provided by Johnny.  Sorry for the noise, but I needed to confirm that
the patch really works.

Akemi