[CentOS] CentOS 5 Minimal Install

Sun Apr 1 10:26:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 12:26 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Once upon a time Saturday 31 March 2007, Brett Serkez wrote:
> > Performing a test install of CentOS 5, I no longer have the capability
> > of requesting a minimal install as their was in CentOS 4.  Is there
> > any possibility this could added back in before final release?
>
> to do a minimal install unselect things. CentOS follows upstream  and this is
> the route upstream has taken.

Right ... however, CentOS does have a built in minimal install available
(though, not specifically selectable).

In the category (some call it task) selection screen, there are some
options like "Desktop - Gnome", "Desktop - KDE", "Server", and "Server -
GUI" ... if you just unselect all those options, you will get what is a
minimal install with just Text based Internet and a minimal set of
packages.

If you want to get less of an install than that (not likely) ... you can
use the "Customize-Now" option at the bottom of the Category / Task
selection screen and then remove all checked options.  The "all
unchecked" install is barely functional (it has sshd and dhcp-client and
a very minimal set of packages).

So to get a fairly minimal install set easily ... just uncheck all
options on the Category / Task selection screen.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes