[CentOS] NTP

Mon Apr 2 15:51:15 UTC 2007
Steve Huff <shuff at vecna.org>

On Apr 2, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Ken Godee wrote:

>> Ok.  I'm looking at a client that needs to keep their server time
>> close as reasonably possible (within a minute) of the actual time
>> of day.  I've installed the RPM for NTP and I'm looking for tips
>> on what the simplest setup should be, ie:
>> What server(s) should I be using for sync?
>> Should I just run it from a cron every 20 minutes or so?
>
> I do wish it would prefer the time server offered by DHCP:-( I'd
> rather sync one computer over the Internet, and the rest off my
> local network.

how large is your local network?  arguably you should be using at
least two, and ideally three, timeservers on the local network; ntp
works ok with only one source of time, but times will converge much
more quickly with multiple sources of time.

don't run 'ntpdate' from a cron job; that defeats the whole purpose
of running ntpd.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v