[CentOS] How to Increase Swap Memory in Centos 4.4?

Tue Apr 3 15:51:32 UTC 2007
Jeff Lasman <blists at nobaloney.net>

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 08:31 am, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> The original rule (still valid, AFAIC) was:
>
> "swap should be NO MORE than the double RAM"

I've been around a while, and used Linux since somewhere around '94/'95
(an old Slackware distribution at that time, based on Linux kernel
version 0.99, iirc).

If you had very little memory, you probably wanted a lot of swap, and in
those days you didn't have much memory.

Or how about Xenix running on a TRS-80 Model 2000, with 128K (not M, K)
of memory, then you might have wanted swap of double memory.

Somehow, somewhere I got into my head that you wanted at least the same
swap as memory, because if linux dumped it would try to write it's
memory into the swap partition first if it could, for later
examination.

That's never been true, and I was disabused of my erroneous notion (and
embarrassed just a bit) when I asked the question of Robert Love; based
on his book "Linux Kernel Development",

http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Kernel-Development-Robert-Love/dp/0672325128

I think he knows a bit about the kernel.

<smile>

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
P.O. Box 52200, Riverside, CA  92517