[CentOS] Re: software raid

Tue Apr 3 16:47:04 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Jeff Lasman spake the following on 4/3/2007 8:42 AM:
> On Tuesday 03 April 2007 08:14 am, Scott Silva wrote:
>
>> It seems unusual to have hotswap cages and not have a hotswap capable
>> controller.
>
> Which is why I want to do some testing.
>
>> I think SAS is hot-swappable, but I really don't think
>> IDE or SATA is, and SCSI might be if it is newer.
>
> Definitely SATA.  Definitely hotswap.
>
> http://www.serversdirect.com/config.asp?config_id=SDR-5015M-T+B
>
> We've been using this configuration for some time; some of the details
> may have changed.
>
> According to linuxmafia:
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#intel-ich7
>
> It's fake RAID and we've always set it up as software RAID.
>
> (Maybe we shouldn't be?)
>
> Jeff
You are better off with software raid unless you buy those systems with the
add-in 3ware card. Looking around the net, the only software raid solution
that I see that says it supports hot-swap and auto-reconstruction is EVMS
(evms.sourceforge.net). But RedHat (and CentOS) don't ship with EVMS.

I couldn't find anything to say whether the linux MD code does or doesn't
support hotswap.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and