[CentOS] Problems with SATA DVD+-RW drive

Wed Apr 4 05:14:33 UTC 2007
Peter Gross <pag at nanosec.com>

Jay Leafey wrote:
> I just got a Dell Dimension e521 (AMD 64 x2, nVidia MCP51 chipset) and
> so far it has been fine.  Today I tried to burn some CD-R and DVD-R
> disks and have been able to do nothing but make coasters.  The drive is
> a TSST TS-H653a (Samsung OEM) and does have the current firmware.
> Playing back data, audio, and video disks work just fine, but recording
> is a different matter.
>
> The drive shows up as /dev/scd0 and all the symlinks for /dev/cdrom,
> /dev/cdwriter, /dev/dvd, and /dev/dvdwriter point to that device.  Both
> cdrecord and growisofs complete without any errors, but when I try to
> remount the just-recorded disk I get an error:
>
> [jleafey at jaybird Downloads]$ mount /media/cdrecorder/
> /dev/scd0: Invalid argument
> mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> /dev/scd0: Invalid argument
> mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified
>
> I have also tried to explicitly mount it specifying the device and fs type:
>
> [jleafey at jaybird Downloads]$ sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 \
> /media/cdrecorder/
> mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> The output of dmesg shows the message "cdrom: This disc doesn't have any
> tracks I recognize!" when this happens.
>
> Since I also get an error on the eject command UNLESS RUN AS ROOT
> (eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device) I
> thought it might be a permission problem, but the device (/dev/scd0) is
> showing up as being "owned" by me, courtesy of Gnome no doubt.  I get
> the bad burns whether I run as root or a regular user.
>
> At this point I don't know whether to think the problem is with cdrecord
> or the sata_nv driver.  Anybody got any ideas on where to look next?

On one of my systems with an AM2 MCP51 motherboard, I had some problems
with it handling the SATA disk, so I built and installed the most recent
(at that time) kernel [2.6.20.1]. That seems to solve both my onboard
gigabit nic and the sata_nv problems.

--peter gross