[CentOS] seamonkey on Centos 2.1 deletes itself!

Thu Apr 5 11:34:54 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

R P Herrold wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, John wrote:
>
>> [root at magpie root]#
>> hm. What does
>> /usr/lib/mozilla-seamonkey-1.0.8/mozilla-rebuild-databases.pl?
>

>> Why is this?
>

> reading the whole script, it is regenerating 'chrome' files with only
> the master instance running, presumeably to prevent wayward children
> from bollixing the process.

What are these chrome files anyway? When I was young, chrome was the
decoration of choice on Yank Tanks.

> not deleting itself, of course, as the title suggests -- just parts of
> what are essentially configuration matters, which may need migration as
> versions and releases change.

Surely /usr is the wrong place to be doing this? /usr is supposed to be
able to be mounted ro (not at this moment, of course) and shared between
many machines, virtual or real.

If it's configuration data then it should be in /etc. If it's volatile
but not condifuration, then in /var.

Best, is to build the package at build time, not at install time.

And, if those files are not required to be in the package, why the heck
are they?

--

Cheers
John