[CentOS] Centos 5 timeline?

Sat Apr 7 08:35:33 UTC 2007
Lonny Selinger <lonny at bangtherockstogether.net>

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 11:48:20AM -0500, Larry Vaden wrote:
>> On 4/5/07, Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob at darkover.org> wrote:
>> >Please be reminded not to feed the developers.
>>
>> s/developers/repackagers/
>>
>> Please, let
>>
>> .the authors have credit for development of Linux

"Linux" is just a kernel, we're referring to a distribution and they do
receive credit...

>> .the packagers have credit for packaging Linux distros and
>> .the repackagers have credit for repackaging the distros.

Just because one of the functions of releasing a 'distro' might include
repackaging, does _not_ mean the people responsible for repackaging are _not_
developers (I'm sure there was a better way to reword that)  ;-P

>> If you
>> .don't give the authors/developers credit,
>> .the packagers won't have anything to package,
>> .the repackagers won't have anything to repackage,
>> .and we'll all be out of the best software there is.
>
> Do you really think all that is involved in releasing CentOS is
> repackaging ? Geez ...

Indeed :/  .... if that was the case I'd go grab the source RPMs and build my
own distro, create my own bugzilla and my own wiki and track my own headaches,
not going to happen. I think respect is given where due in regards to
developers, packagers and re-packagers and in this case what you are referring
to as re-packagers, wear more than one hat.

Just MHO, YOMV

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box,
you just need to work ON it."