[CentOS] Re: command to ensure other command does last longer than5 seconds

Sat Apr 7 18:55:21 UTC 2007
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 13:37 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> >
> > Yes. My goal though is to use shell scripts because I assume no "C"
> > expertise from most admins and users, although it is certain many of
> > them have some based on my experience.
>
> (sleep 5 && kill $$) &
> exec program_that_better_work_fast

That works, of course. But the majority of the thread has been oriented
to greater precision when considering "startup" times. This has the flaw
that Rodrigo (sp?) was trying to address. But I sure didn't think of the
"$$". That saves a couple of lines.

--
Bill