[CentOS] Centos 5

Tue Apr 10 16:07:15 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

Feizhou wrote:

>> I first used debian@ on the taroon beta:-) It doesn't get a lot of
>> spam, so I keep using it.
>
> :O. A SIX CHARACTER username addy not getting spam? I have a SEVEN
> character username addy and I get loads.

Try it.

Oh, having an email address dedicated to mailing lists helps. filtering
on list-id helps: stuff that lands in INBOX is immediately suspect, and
PINE is really good for cleaning out unwanted email without opening it.
Probably MUTT is too, but I reckon it's a dog.

btw
I've had a great idea to completely kill off spammers, and twits who
reply off-list, and I intend to implement it when I move to somewhere I
can have ADSL.

It's simple: email addresses for use on lists will only be accessible to
servers hosting those lists. For example, I would have one or more
addresses at my.lists.example.com and I will write DNAT rules (using
shorewall) to forward connexions from mail.centos.org and some other
select sites to the box that hosts those addresses.
Anyone else would connect to mail.example.com which doesn't know those
addresses, so they will get the usual 5xx errors.
A DNAT rule in shorewall looks like this:
DNAT            net     loc:192.168.1.252       tcp     25
and I can restrict it by source address.

Spammers beaten.

--

Cheers
John