[CentOS] Relocating /boot and /

Wed Apr 11 18:29:26 UTC 2007
Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <strange at nsk.no-ip.org>

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 10:59:32AM -0700, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> Due to the peculiar way that my root drive is configured (incomplete advance
> planning for Windows to Linux conversion), I have had thoughts about moving
> /boot and / to a different place on the drive.  Current configuration is:
>
> sda1 - 30Gb primary partition (was the E: drive)
> sda2 - 120 Gb primary partition (was my H: drive)
> sda3 - 100Mb /boot primary partition
> sda4 - Extended partition
> sda5 - 4Gb swap partition
> sda6 - 145Gb / partition
>
> I was thinking about rearranging the disk to a more conventional layout
> where /boot is first, swap next, / next and the rest after that.  It
> probably isn't necessary since the drive runs fine (well, almost - last
> night /boot developed a weirdity in its superblock and I had to recover with
> the install DVD in rescue mode and using the alternate superblock, but it's
> back up and running, having survived the boot fsck), but I was wondering if
> anyone had tried something like this before.  Besides, having a backup (or
> new) /boot might not be a bad idea after last night....

If you want, send me privately the contents of /boot and I'll make an
iso for you (or just learn how to use mkisofs and isolinux ;).

> Are there any serious advantages/disadvantages to having /boot in the middle
> of the disk and / after it?

Not really, If you're using sata then I suppose your bios isn't limited
as the older ones where.

> I was thinking that I could remove the 1 & 2 partitions, recreate them with
> a hole in between for a (new/replacement) swap, and copy the original
> partitions to the new locations, then update the grub.conf and voila!  (I
> would hope....)

Don't forget /etc/fstab and rerun grub-install. Also, printout the
output of sfdisk -d.

> I'm also wondering about complications from having the swap and / partitions
> inside the extended partition....

Not really, but don't forget that the lower (ie., near the end) portions
of harddisks are the slower ones.

--
lfr
0/0