[CentOS] Dual boot problem with XP and CentOS4.4

Thu Apr 12 15:59:34 UTC 2007
Guy Boisvert <boisvert.guy at videotron.ca>

Siva GNU/Linux wrote:
> Hi
> i am using CentOS 4.4 version individually. working very fine. but,
> when i try to install CentOS4.4 as a dual boot with windows XP, i couldn't
> install. its taking so much of time to show the installation screen. i have
> given my hardware configuration below,
> Intel Dual Core 2.8 Ghz
> Intel D945GCCR MotherBoard
> 1GB DDR Ram
> 80GB SATA HDD (western digital)
>

> this is the first time i am trying installation as Dual boot. please
> help me
> to solve this problem.

Hi!

I've done this a lot of time and my way of keeping all this simple is to
 use a boot manager and not rely on the Windoze boot manager nor LILO
(which some might prefer).

Some folks of this fine list may have better idea, in that case we all
learn anyway!

I use GAG Boot manager (distributed under GPL licence, with source code):

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

Example:
========
1) I install Windows XP on a fresh disk

2) After Windows installation is finished, i boot with the GAG disquette
(or CD, up to you) and hide the Windows partition.

3) I install Linux and instruct it to put LILO in its boot partition

4) After, i reboot with the GAG disquette (or CD!) and configure the
menu to include Windows and Linux.  After, i save GAG and its config
into the MBR.

GAG can boot different drives too.

Hope this helped.  The actual process can differ slightly as i wrote
this message with what i remember from my last install last year.

Guy Boisvert
IngTegration inc.