[CentOS] OT: AMD CPU actual speed....

Sat Apr 14 00:09:51 UTC 2007
Jay Leafey <jay.leafey at mindless.com>

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> I know this is a bit OT, but the subject of CPU speed came up here and I
> was (and have been for some time) curious:
>
> What is the actual speed of an AMD CPU?  E.g., I have a Athlon 64 X2
> "4200+" but my /proc/cpuinfo shows 1005.164 MHz for the two cores.
>
> What do those mean?  Is there a reference for this (huge) discrepancy?
>
> Also, is there a way (and what) to tell what the actuall running speed
> of memory is?
>
> Thanks.

Well, now, that's just weird!  Here's the contents of /proc/cpuinfo on
my Dell E521 with the same processor:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 75
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2205.548
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext lm
3dnowext 3dnow pni
bogomips        : 4412.52

(second core info snipped)

You'll note that mine indicates 2205.548 MHz.
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com