[CentOS] Upgrade 4.4 to 5.0 (Error in transaction)

Mon Apr 16 20:26:39 UTC 2007
bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at <bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at>

    SJS> On 4/16/07, bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
    SJS> <bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at> wrote:
    >> Just an update and an additional question concerning this:

    bl> Hi!

    bl> I'm having a problem upgrading an existing 4.4 installation to
    bl> 5.0.
    bl> I'm clicking through the upgrade dialogs. Then the machine
    bl> prepares to install the packages. At the end of this a
    bl> dialog-box appears:

    bl> Error running transaction There was an error running your
    bl> transaction for the following reason(s):

    bl> Apart from that text there is only a Reboot-button (no
    bl> explanation)

    >> Stupid question: is it possible that the reason for this error
    >> message is that the estimated size of all the packages that are
    >> to be updated (3.2 Gig) is bigger than the remaining free space
    >> on the root partition (2.5 Gig)?
    >>

    SJS> It could be, but it is supposed to trigger an exception
    SJS> telling you need more space on the system (and how much).

Seems like this really was the problems. I solved it by moving
/usr/share to another partition and symlinking it. Now upgrade works
(it is still running, so I can't tell if this is fully successful)

    SJS> I have run into the same problem, and it might be a similar
    SJS> issue as the box only had 1.2 GB free and was updating 3.2 gb
    SJS> of data.. I am trying to figure out how to get a break set to
    SJS> get a better idea on the erorr.

You need to know any specifics about my system? (In case that this is
something that doesn't happen on all machines)