[CentOS] Re: Jigdoes of CentOS 4.4 and 5.0 i386/x86_64 CD/DVD available.

Mon Apr 16 23:56:32 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

John Summerfield spake the following on 4/16/2007 4:11 PM:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>

>> Bitorrent has one advantage over jigdo AFAIR -- Jigdo uses the
>> bandwidth of
>> the mirrors to get all downloads, but bittorrent uses the bandwidth of
>> the
>> downloaders. This adds up to significant savings to the one hosting
>> the files,
>> because storage is an occasional purchase, where bandwidth is a
>> monthly expense.
>
> Ask internet access providers what they prefer; here, they commonly set
> up local mirrors for their users. Jigdo will use these, and the user's
> choice.
>
> OTOH bitttorrent will get stuff from uncontrolled locations and IAPs pay
> time and again again.
>
> I can't imagine bittorrent provides _any_ advantage over jigdo plus
> one's IAP's mirror. I am in Perth, Western Australia, where I can choose
> between (at least) two local mirrors.
>
> And Jigdo would have been enormously helpful in updating beta to final
> (provided packages were not needlessly rebuilt), all the unchanged
> packages could be used from the beta images.
>
> I can also use it to construct a DVD image from my CDs.

I was just thinking of the bandwidth that the CentOS team doesn't have to pay
for with bittorrent. But I do agree that jigdo is a better system for the
end-user and for those with pricey last-mile connections, or you in Perth,
where you probably have to pay for anything that crosses the ocean.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and