[CentOS] VmWare Installation -- Where is C header directory, please?

Tue Apr 17 05:25:12 UTC 2007
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Using Centos 5.
>
> I am trying to install the VmWare Server in my Centos 5 in order to install
> Windows XP. I am asked for the location of the C header files directory:
>
> "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]"

A) first install them...

    # yum install kernel-devel

B) list where they landed...

   # rpm -ql kernel-devel | grep /include/ | more

note they are NOT in /usr/src/linux/include,  rather, they are in some
path like /usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.EL-i686/include ... and in fact,
there IS no /usr/src/linux ...  so, you might just want to do something
like...

    # ln -s /usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.EL-i686  /usr/src/linux

so that you can use the assumed default path.    Note, with c5, this
path is undoubtably different.