[CentOS-devel] Re: [CentOS] Re: Jigdoes of CentOS 4.4 and 5.0 i386/x86_64 CD/DVD available.

Tue Apr 17 10:48:16 UTC 2007
Lance Davis <lance at centos.org>

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Maciej ¯enczykowski wrote:

>> But --- does jigdo have any kind of indirection in place , eg to get a
>> list of mirrors and use them ??
>
> It does use a list of mirros for the debian.  I haven't really looked
> into it too deeply.
> Furthermore the jigdo-lite program is really just a shell script -
> should be easy to get it to behave however we want it (it just runs
> wget).
>
>> Or could yum be used as a wrapper around jigdo maybe to pull stuff down
>> using fastestmirror or maybe even dags stuff ??
>
> I would really like to see dynamic DNS resolution based on source IP
> giving out the address of the nearest centos compatible mirror - then
> it would 'just work'.

see below re cnames ...

we really need to push the bandwidth out to external mirrors - and 302's
are messy ...

>> Otherwise it gets messy because mirrors have different file structures, so
>> just using CNAME's wont work.
>
> And that's the problem... But we could possibly work with them to get
> this working - at least for http this is relatively trivial (just
> setup a virtual domain for whatever global name we would decide on
> like mirror.centos.org).

Except that is not what we do for mirror.centos.org - all those are our
servers.

>> The trouble I see is that if a user doesnt have a local mirror or
>> local copy of a set if isos then downloading the packages individually
>> from a mirror may be less efficient than downloading an iso / set of isos,
>> and certainly without mirror redirect and fastestmirror it is a non starter
>
> There aren't that many files on a cd, so the extra time spent opening
> closing connections shouldn't really be significant - unless you have
> an extremely big pipe.  But - yes - we would want each user to use the
> closest possible mirror.
>
>> The fedora guys have beern working on stuff that we also ought to look at
>> , and we should look at metalinks while we are at it.
>
> No idea what this is... :-)

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/revisor

I dont really think it is the same thing ...

and http://www.metalinker.org/

eg http://www.metalinker.org/samples/CentOS-4.4-i386-binDVD.iso.metalink

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.