[CentOS] linuxthreads & Printers in Centos5...

Thu Apr 19 08:47:09 UTC 2007
Jake Grimmett <jake.grimmett at nimr.mrc.ac.uk>

Pierre, many thanks for your help.

I think I might need a compat-glibc for the "n-2 distro" as linuxthreads
support was removed from Centos5; from the RHEL-4 release-notes:

"support for LinuxThreads still exists for RHEL 4, ...advance notice that Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 5 will no longer include support for LinuxThreads. Thus
applications that require LinuxThreads support must be updated before they
will be able to work properly on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 system."

In RHEL4 the solution was to one of the following:
1) Use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environment variable
or
2) Use an explicit rpath to /lib/i686/ or /lib/ to select LinuxThreads instead
of NPTL at runtime

I used solution #1 to get InsightII to run under Centos4.
Is there any (reasonable) chance of providing older (=Centos3) libraries under
Centos5 for one errant program?

Thanks again for your time

Jake

--