[CentOS] Re: smartd stalls the system on reboot

Thu Apr 19 23:12:56 UTC 2007
Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On 4/18/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/18/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It would really best to supply the whole host.domain in the file for
> > > the entry. Since you also have 2 different networks, sendmail may be
> > > having trouble figuring out what the server really is. The 192.168
> > > address resolves differently than the 69.234 address. And the 69.234
> > > address doesn't reverse to the same name set in /etc/hosts. This
> > > confusion can very much cause sendmail to get all turned around and
> > > stall. You might want to consider looking at your  logs to see if you
> > > have errors reflecting this.

I did both this and took Scott's advice (to leave my machine name off
the localhost line) and the sendmail and sm-client now start just fine
(fast).

> > > Are you using the stock drivers or the proprietary nForce chipset
> drivers?
I couldn't find any sata drivers from nVidia, just video drivers.

However, I did notice that when I put a new sata drive in to replace
the defective one, smartd was happy and quick once again.  I thought
maybe there was a bad entry in the smartd.conf file, but that drive
isn't in there at all (I'll be adding it once it passes a preliminary
badblocks screen - so far so good).

The new drive is a WD320 - a little smaller (and cheaper), but it
seems to be running quite a bit better already....

--
Mark Hull-Richter, Linux Kernel Engineer
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)