[CentOS] Centos5: RAID1 on root/boot? [+lilo mkinitrd issues]

Sun Apr 22 19:12:00 UTC 2007
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 21:40 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did a command-line upgrade of a RHL73 server to Centos 5.  It was a
> bit rocky road, but in the end it was successful.
>
> There's one thing that bugged me.  I'm using software RAID1 consisting
> of /dev/hd{a,c}.  No LVM or anything fancy, a number of /dev/mdX
> partitions, including the root (+/boot).
>
> I'd have preferred to continue using lilo as it works more easily with
> RAID1 root/boot setups.  The deployment guide for Centos5 claims to
> support RAID1 boot partitions (RHEL4 didn't, and provided a pointer a
> site in UK which no longer works for more info), it's not clear how
> exactly a redundant boot block configuraton is achieved with that --
> so that if you remove the primary drive, it'll still boot.
>
> Anyone have pointers for this?
>
> [I've gone through a number of sites with various hacks how to install
> grub on both disks, but I'm not quite sure which ones are valid, and
> whether those are needed anymore]

This has been touched on several times in the CentOS mailings. Did you
also search CentOS? If not, ISTR that there are answers there. For grub,
of course.
<snip>

HTH
--